Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The first days of the journey

hursday and Friday last week went by quickly, I hade to pack all my stuff, get half of them shipped to Sydney and clean my room. I managed to take care of it all, and finally it felt really strange to leave my Australian home. On the other hand felt excited about travelling and seeing Anna quite soon, but it was still sad to leave Adelaide. It was my home for over 4 months after all and I’m not sure if I’m ever returning there.

On Saturday night we took a plane to Cairns then, and immediately at the airport the warmth and humidity of the tropics felt mind-blowing. We spent Saturday just walking around the city, which isn’t too big or impressive – basically lots of surf shops, travel agencies, souvenir shops, restaurants and bars. The whole city seems to revolve around (German) backpacker tourists… On Sunday we went to the botanic gardens and relaxed at a kind of artificial salt water lagoon the city has at seaside (because the natural beach isn’t any good).





On Monday we took a day-trip to the Tablelands, where the Daintree rainforest is located. We saw quite a lot during the day and heard heaps of interesting details about the rainforest it self. And we got to swim under a magnificent waterfall and in a volcanic lake!
On Monday night we took a night bus to Townsville and after some hassle at the hostel we headed for Magnetic Island 8 km off-shore. It is a kind of a resort with multiple small beaches and a few small bars and restaurant. For some reason the place reminded me of the island of Lost. We spent the day just laying on the beach and walking around.

On Wednesday morning we continue early in the morning by bus to Airlie Beach. Feels good to be underway, and I’m really excited to see all the East Coast has to offer me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We, heräs uteliaisuus, kenen kans reissaat :)

Jyri said...

Tahan asti olen matkannu Stun, Ryanin, Kathyn, Fraenzin ja Carolin kanssa, mutta huomisesta eteenpain oikeastaan itekseni loppumatkan. Mutta naen osan sakista viela viikon paasta Brisbanessa.