Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Sunshine Coast

Since leaving Airlie Beach I've been travelling along a part of the East Coast called the Sunshine Coast. Sunday and Monday I spent in a little beach town called Rainbow Beach (small in the proportion that my Vodafone didn't have any reception there...). The two days went by mainly being lazy, but on Monday I went see kayaking and tried bodyboarding for a while. We were supposed to see dolphins during the kayaking, but unfortunately it was raining and we saw no sea animals whatsoever. And we had tandem kayaks and the others of course weren't experienced in kayaking so it wasn't much about kayaking either. Anyway it was nice to try sea kayaks and felt good to be on water, just like it always feels good in Askainen back home! Bodyboarding was fun as well. It is basically surfing on one's stomach with a small board. It's easier than surfing, and I think I got the hang of catching waves this time.

On Tuesday I took a bus to Noosa, which is a small haven three hours from Brisbane. It has a small national park with amazing beaches and coastal views and a ridiculously expensive shopping street with brand boutiques and fancy restaurants. And yes, I cooked tuna pasta at the hostel :) The hostel I stayed at was really cool though, a 100-year-old building with rather good facilities, a really nice lounge and a warm atmosphere.

On Wednesday I went to the Australia Zoo, which is the home of the Crocodile hunter alias Steve Irwin. The zoo was completely different from the one in Adelaide, it seemed to be a lot more about entertaining the audience than providing knowledge about different animals. The greatest aspect was easily the hands-on shows, in which the keepers interacted with the animals either on a big arena or in the enclosures. I saw for example an elephant being washed and a keeper playing in a pool with pup tigers. Heart warming!

On Thursday morning I will finish my bus travelling by taking a bus to Brisbane. Feels really good to get to a place that doesn't involve around backpackers or beaches. Perhaps I can also gradually start transforming from a backpacker to a suitcase tourist, as from now on I'll be flying from one city to another. I've gotten so used to staying at beach resorts that I accidentally almost left for the zoo wearing flip-flops... I will also meet Fraenzi, Kathy and Stu in Brisbane for the final time, as the girls get there on Friday and Stu on Saturday. Might be that we have to have a beer or two for all the good times we've had here!




2 comments:

Kati said...

olet ilmeisesti löytänyt kaltaisesi hyppelijän.:)

Anna said...

wow, fotot med solnedgången, underbart!