Sunday, December 14, 2008

Good ol' Brissie

From Thursday till Sunday morning I stayed in Brisbane. It felt really good to arrive to a city after all the small places I've visited since I left Adelaide. On Thursday I just walked around the city centre for a while and in the evening we had dinner with Ryan, as it was supposed to be his last night in Australia. (After all his flight on Friday was cancelled so he stayed for a day longer.)

On Friday I spent the whole day being an effective tourist. Walked around most of the city, took a ferry to the city's South Bank and even visited Brisbane's Gallery of Modern Art. The gallery has an exhibition called 'Optimism' so I felt almost obliged to check it out :) I also half-accidentally took a guided tour of Brisbane parliament house, which turned out to be one of the best things I did the whole day. The building is a magnificent house built in 1860 and the tour included some interesting facts about the history of the building and Queensland in general.

I really liked Brisbane, everything was built in a compact way and easy to reach by foot. Also the city manages to mix new shiny architecture with old classical buildings without feeling pompous or artificial. Especially the South Bank with it's walkways, artificial beach and cultural centre was impressive. It seems that Queenslanders are really keen on having a beach in their city, as every city here seems to have some kind of an artificial solution if there is no real beach available. Actually it's quite understandable with the subtropical climate here...

On Friday afternoon Kathy and Fraenzi arrived and we went out for a few drinks. We found a really lively Irish pub with an excellent live band, but as we were feeling more like just sitting around and talking, we spent the rest of the evening in a cool balcony bar. Again with live music.

On Saturday we took a train to a suburb called Fortitude Valley, which is a bit like Melbourne's Fitzroy with a bohemian and slightly rough look. After walking around and chilling at a café we went to the city and walked around a bit before heading for the hostel. Stu arrived later in the afternoon, and all of us went out at night. Was nice spending one more night with all my best mates here.

On Sunday morning my friends had gotten up before me and cooked breakfast for me. This just goes to tell how well they've gotten to know me, as everyone knows how much I detest waking up without getting something to eat. After that it was time to say goodbye to Fraenzi and Kathy. I will probably see Stu again in Sydney. I haven't realized yet that today's goodbyes mark the end of my exchange here, as even though I will probably will meet the people again, it will never be the same with all the people in the same place, both physically and mentally.

I'm reaching my final destination in Australia today: Sydney. Gonna spend three days in the buzzling capital of Australia, should be good...

P.S. I apologize to Anna for plagiarism with the last photo, but the shot with the reflections of a glass building just describes Brisbane so well: old details surrounded by modern prosperity, but with harmony :)





No comments: